Saturday, March 1, 2008

Rape? or just close your legs....

This totally made me angry. While it may be true that women need to be more aware and take more responsibility for themselves, I truly feel that most of us don't truly understand what sexual assault is.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/sunday/commentary/la-op-mac_donal...

Case in point: I wanted to report something on the Report It! site before I sent it out to others (from my childhood). I wanted to see what it was and do it for myself. What I realized in reporting my one thing is that I had three other incidents. I read all of the choices that were on the page and thought, "THAT is sexual assault?!" I asked my partner about two other things that had happened, and she said, "Well, yeah. That is definitely sexual assault!"

I came up with one more thing -- a total of four incidents I reported. I had to stop at that point from sheer amazement and horror at what I didn't know had happened to me. (If you've read my blog...again, it wasn't that bad....it was that bad.)

As women we often hear we are overreacting.. no wonder so many things are unreported. It's not just fear or shame....it's that many of us don't even realize we've been assaulted. (I tried to find a word to fit what I was thinking, but my mind just blinked).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beilieve me I get it! Our priest, a date rape by my friend and his friend, and a sexual assault by my brother. My parents not comprehending the impact this has had on my life. "why can't you just get over it?" It's hard to know where to start.
noel
http://breakoutofthebox.wordpress.com